This delicious crab bisque is wonderfully rich and flavorful and it will warm you from the inside out. Simple to make in one pot, it's a hearty dish the whole family will love!
Servings 4 servings
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced about 1 cup
- 1 celery stalk, diced about 1/2 cup
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chopped, about 4 small cloves
- 4 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14.5 Oz can fire roasted tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups seafood stock or clam juice
- 1/2 cup sherry cooking wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb crab lump meat
- 2 Tablespoon chives for garnish
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the flour and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
Add tomatoes, seafood stock, sherry wine, bay leaves, and old bay. Bring to simmer and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove bay leaves and blend the soup with an immersion blender or carefully blend in a blender until smooth.
Return pot to heat and Stir in heavy cream and add crab meat, Continue to heat for 3-5 minutes, until crab meat is heated through.
Serve in bowls and top with chives.
- Make the soup in a heavy bottomed pan. This will distribute the heat more evenly so you don't get hotspots.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a stand blender. Transfer it to the blender in batches carefully as it will be very hot.
- Make this soup gluten free by using a 1:1 GF flour.
Calories: 734kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 241mg | Sodium: 1561mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2651IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 2mg