Cream of Mushroom Soup
This delicious and rich cream of mushroom soup is easy to make all in one pot and is so hearty and comforting. Perfect for make ahead and freezer meals.
Servings 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add mushrooms, thyme, marjoram and stir for about 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms have softened and reduced in volume. Sprinkle four over the mixture and stir for about 2 minutes to allow the flour to cook.
Stir in chicken broth and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture has reduced.
Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream. Allow mixture to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy.
- Make the soup in a heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven. This will help to distribute the heat more evenly so that the bottom doesn't get scorched.
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend the soup together.
- Taste the soup before serving and adjust the salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 703mg | Potassium: 698mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 938IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg