This delicious and easy to make Southern chess pie is one of my favorite desserts to make. Made with a few simple ingredients, I just know you will love this sweet and rich pie!
Servings 8 servings
- 9- inch prepared pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and make sure there is a rack in the middle.
In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together on medium speed until fully combined, about 1 minute.
Add milk, lemon juice, cornmeal, all-purpose flour, vanilla extract, salt, and nutmeg and beat until combined. Pour into the prepared pie crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the middle is almost set and has a little jiggle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- You can also use a whisk to mix the ingredients if you don’t have an electric beater. Just make sure the ingredients are fully combined.
- Place pie dish on baking sheet prior to baking to avoid spillage.
- The pie may bubble up while baking. Don’t worry, it will deflate once it’s removed from the oven and cools.
- The pie crust used in this recipe should be partially baked.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 156IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg