Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Hearty and comforting, this Salisbury steak recipe is so delicious! Beef patties are cooked in a rich and tasty mushroom gravy for a yummy dinner the whole family will love!
Servings 6 patties
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp grated onion
- 2 Tbsp beef broth
- 1 lb ground beef/chuck
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Tbsp AP flour
- 2 cups beef broth
Make the steaks
Combine breadcrumbs, grated onion, and beef broth in a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, add ground beef, soaked breadcrumbs, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to the large bowl. Mix with hands until incorporated and then form into patties.
Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and brown on each side, for about 3 minutes per side. Remove patties from the skillet and set aside.
Make the Gravy
Reduce heat to medium and add butter to the pan. Once butter has melted, add yellow onion to the skillet and saute for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until mushrooms have softened. Sprinkle it with flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in beef broth.
Return patties to gravy and allow to cook in gravy for 8-10 minutes, until cooked through and gravy has thickened a little. Serve and enjoy.
- I use one yellow onion in this recipe. I cut off a quarter to grate into the patties and slice the rest.
- I prefer to use a 85% lean/15% fat ground beef in this recipe.I find this ratio creates delicious tender steaks.
- Don't over work the beef mixture. The ingredients should be combined, but over mixing it can lead to chewy patties.
- You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using GF breadcrumbs and 1:1 flour.
Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 908mg | Potassium: 490mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 286IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 3mg