Sweet and Sour Cabbage
This sweet and sour cabbage is the perfect easy yet tasty side dish. Red cabbage and a sweet apple are braised in sugar and vinegar, resulting in the most tender and delicious cabbage.
Servings 4 people
- 1 medium head red cabbage chopped into large chunks (about 6-7 cups)
- 1 sweet apple Fuji, honey crisp, etc
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
Place the chopped cabbage, apple, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, and allspice in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it over medium-low heat.
Allow the cabbage to cook, over medium-low heat, for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy.
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid so the liquid stays inside the pot. Cabbage will release a good bit of liquid while it cooks.
- Keep the heat on medium-low and stir about every 20 minutes.
Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 873mg | Potassium: 14mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg