These delicious blueberry biscuits are such a wonderful treat! Loaded with fresh fruit and finished with a sweet glaze. They are easy to make and can be baked in the oven or the air fryer. Perfect for dessert, brunch or a tasty mid-afternoon snack.
Servings 8 biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour plus ¼ cup for flour the board, biscuit cutter, and blueberries
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp shortening cold and cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup buttermilk cold
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Add flour and sugar to a large bowl, stir to combine. Add butter and shortening and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix in butter and shortening. The mixture should resemble the size of small peas.
Make a space in the middle of the bowl and pour in buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon to mix the flour and buttermilk mixture until it’s combined.
In a separate bowl, add blueberries and 1 ½ tsp of flour. Toss the blueberries in the flour. Add the floured blueberries to the flour mixture and gently fold them in.
Flour a clean countertop and pour the dough onto it. Flour your hands and gently knead the dough one or two times until it’s smooth. Pat the dough into a square that’s about ¾ of an inch thick.
Use a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. You should get about 8-9 biscuits.
Optional step: Place your biscuits in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to ensure they are cold before baking.
Bake in Air Fryer or Preheated Oven:
Air Fryer: Place in air fryer basket and bake on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes.
Oven: Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Once biscuits are formed, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until tops are golden
While biscuits, prepare the glaze by whisking powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Set aside.
Once biscuits are done baking, allow biscuits to cool on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. Use a fork and sprinkle glaze on top. Serve and enjoy.
- Toss the blueberries in flour before mixing them in the dough. This will help them not to sink to the bottom during baking.
- If you have time, place the biscuits in the fridge for 10 minutes before baking. This helps to solidify the butter so your biscuits don't spread.
- Let the biscuits cool before adding the glaze, or it will just run off.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 179IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg