Jamaican Instant Pot Rice and Beans
This Jamaican side dish of rice and beans (peas) are seasoned with delicious coconut milk and other spices.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 26 minutes
Total Time 31 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 2 cups long grain white rice rinsed
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 15.5 oz can dark red kidney beans undrained
- 2 sprigs of thyme
Set Instant Pot to "Sauté." Once Hot, add olive oil. Then add yellow onion and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and green onions and stir for about 30 more seconds.
Press “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. Add rice, coconut milk, water, salt, allspice, and black pepper and stir.
Pour kidney beans on top of the rice mixture. Do not stir. Lay sprigs of thyme on top. Cover the Instant Pot, ensuring the valve is set to “Sealing.”
Press “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” on the Instant Pot and set for High pressure for 6 minutes.
Once the pressure cooking time is done, allow it to natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure by moving valve to "Venting"
Open lid and remove thyme sprigs. Fluff rice with fork and Enjoy!
- Make sure there are no dry bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. This could result in that annoying "burn" signal some pressure cookers give off. Once you add your coconut milk and water, stir with a wooden spoon to ensure there is no food stuck to the bottom.
- This recipe was created in an Instant Pot Duo 6QT. If using a newer model, use the "Rice" button on your Instant Pot.
- White Basmati rice or Jasmine rice can be substituted for the long grain.
- I always rinse my rice under cold water before cooking..
- If subbing dry for fresh thyme springs, use about 1/2 tsp.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 592mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3.7mg