Easy Queso Dip Recipe
This easy queso dip is such a great appetizer to serve with chips or use it to top tacos and all your favorite Mexican foods. Ready to serve it less than 10 minutes, it can also be made ahead of time.
Servings 6 to 8 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 oz can diced mild green chilies
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 oz white american cheese finely chopped or shredded
Melt butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk for about 1 minute or until the butter begins to smell toasty.
Slowly whisk in the can of evaporated milk until flour is dissolved.
Add green chilies, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and whisk to incorporate. Bring mixture to simmer and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
Serve and enjoy.
- Make it gluten-free by using 1:1 GF flour.
- If you are sensitive to heat, you can omit the chili powder and reduce the amount of green chilies added. If you like things spicy, add a little extra chili powder.
- Keep the heat at medium when you start cooking so that the flour and milk doesn't scorch and burn.
- American white cheese works best. Grab some from the deli section of your supermarket.
- It can be reheated. I generally place it in a microwave for 2 minutes.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 869mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 579IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 543mg | Iron: 1mg