This Jerk Chicken Soup is a delicious spin on traditional chicken soup. Made with an authentic jerk seasoning, sweet potato, beans, and corn. Have a taste of the Caribbean with this amazing and flavorful soup.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclosure here.
Jerk chicken soup? That’s usually the question I get when I talk about this recipe. Yes, it’s a little different but it’s oh so tasty.
I first learned about Jerk Chicken Soup from my cousin in Jamaica who owned a restuarant on the island. According to him, jerk chicken soup was one of the most popular items on the menu. I’ve had Jamaican pumpkin soup and fish soup, but this was the first I even heard of a jerk chicken soup.
I recreated the dish at home in my Instant Pot because it is my go to vessel for creating soups. I choose to sear my chicken pieces first to give the soup more flavor. Since the Instant Pot has a pretty reliable sear option, it works great for this recipe.
How to Make Jerk Chicken Soup?
First, you’ll want to rub your chicken thighs with the jerk seasoning and sear it in the Instant Pot. This gives the soup so much flavor. The bottom of your pot will get dark but that’s ok.
Make sure you do not overcrowd your pot when searing or your chicken won’t brown properly. I cook in batches and I usually place 2-3 pieces at a time. I then set it aside.
Next, you will deglaze your Instant Pot with a little chicken broth. This is an important step whenever you use the sauté feature on your Instant Pot. Prior to pressure cooking, all brown bits should be removed from the bottom of the instant Pot. Use a wooden spoon to delgaze properly.
Once you’ve deglazed, you will add your onions, garlic, and green pepper and cook until the onions soften. Then you’ll add the remainder of the ingredients, including the browned chicken, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Once the pressure cooking cycle is complete, I allow it to natural release for 10 minutes, then I release any remaining pressure.
Once I open the lid, I give my soup a nice stir to break up the chicken thighs. I then add some coconut milk to lighten it up and calm down the spice. I then add salt and pepper to the pot.
How Long to Cook Soup in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker?
It truly depends on the recipe on how long you will cook your soup. I’ve cooked soups for as little as 10 minutes and some as long as 30. I like to cook this soup at 15 to ensure that my flavors develop and that my thighs cook to the point that they shred once my soup is done.
Can you sub ingredients in the Soup?
You sure can. I’ve used celery in this recipe, black beans, and carrots before. The possibilities are endless. You could use your very own jerk seasoning but I highly recommend Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning if you want a real authentic jerk flavor.
Hope you enjoy this Jerk Chicken Soup recipe as much as we do 🙂
Looking for more Soup Recipes? Try these out:
- Easy Seafood Chowder
- Pressure cooker Lentil Soup (Carrabba’s Copycat)
- Hearty Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
Looking for more Caribbean recipes? Try these out:
- Instant Pot Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Jamaican Rum Punch
- Air Fryer Jamaican Jerk Pork
- Jamaican Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Jamaican Callaloo and Saltfish
- Jamaican Rice and Peas (Instant Pot)
- Jamaican Oxtails Recipe (Instant Pot)
Pin Jerk Chicken Soup for Later
Jerk Chicken Soup
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup jerk seasoning
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 green scallions chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped
- ½ green pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 4 cups chicken broth separated
- ½ cup coconut milk
- cilantro garnish
- Wash and pat chicken thighs dry. Pour jerk seasoning over the the chicken and combine, making sure that all the chicken thighs are covered with the seasoning.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté, select more so that the sauté setting will be on high heat.
- Once Instant Pot says hot, add vegetable oil. Place 2-3 pieces of chicken in the Instant Pot. Cook each side until browned (about 2 minutes per side). Cook in batches until all chicken thigh pieces have been browned. Set to the side.
- Once all chicken pieces are removed, add about ¼ cup chicken broth to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Use a wooden spoon to get up all of the brown bits on the bottom.
- Add yellow onion, green pepper, minced garlic, and green onions. Stir until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot. Add sweet potato, red kidney beans, corn, and chicken broth. Place browned chicken thighs on top of the soup, ensuring that the chicken thighs are in the liquid. Cover and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once pressure cook cycle is complete, allow soup to natural release for 10 minutes, then release the remaing pressure. Once all pressure is released, open lid and stir, shredding the chicken as you stir. Add coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper and top with cilantro.
Step by Step Photos of Jerk Chicken Soup