Carolina Gold BBQ sauce is a sweet, tangy and slightly spicy sauce that pairs perfectly with grilled meats like chicken and pork. This mustard based sauce has brown sugar and honey added for sweetness, apple cider vinegar for sourness, and seasonings.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
My Carolina gold BBQ sauce recipe can be used as a marinade or dip, and also used to baste meat while it is grilling. The sauce adds great depth of flavor, elevating simple grilled meats from good to great. Try brushing some over chicken wings, the results are delicious.
Residing in North Carolina has given me the opportunity to sample a wide variety of BBQ styles. While vinegar-based BBQ will always hold a cherished spot in my heart, I have equally developed a deep affection for this mustard-based BBQ.
Carolina Gold BBQ sauce originated in South Carolina, specifically in the central and coastal regions of the state. This sauce is known for its golden hue, which is derived from its primary ingredient, yellow mustard.
I like to make my own homemade sauces and seasonings as I know exactly what I’m are putting into them and can tailor the sauce to suit my families tastes. My homemade Carolina gold BBQ sauce does not contain excessive amounts of salt or unnecessary additives.
Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce Ingredients
Here’s what you will need to make the best Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce recipe:
- Yellow mustard – only use yellow mustard as this is the dominant flavor in the sauce.
- Apple cider vinegar – adds sourness and acidity to the sauce.
- Light brown sugar and Honey – add sweetness.
- Ketchup – adds depth of flavor and a touch of sweetness.
- Ground mustard
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
How to make Carolina gold BBQ sauce
Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium saucepan until well combined and smooth.
Set the saucepan over medium heat and allow the sauce to come to a slight simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
After cooking, remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature. Serve with your favorite BBQ, try it with pulled pork or chicken wings.
These tips will help you make the best BBQ sauce you’ve ever tried.
- The base flavor of this sauce is yellow mustard, don’t be tempted to use anything other than yellow mustard or you will lose the classic Carolina gold sauce flavor.
- Don’t walk away from the pan when making this sauce or you risk the sugar and honey sticking and burning to the bottom of the pan. Using a non-stick pan also helps with this.
- If time allows, make the sauce the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. The sauce will taste even better the next day once the flavors have had a chance to meld together.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, white wine or sherry vinegar would be good swaps.
- I like the flavor or honey in the sauce, but maple syrup would be a good substitution.
- Don’t like too much chili heat, then cut down or leave out the red pepper flakes.
How to serve
Use this delicious BBQ sauce as a marinade or dipping sauce. You can also use it to baste your favorite grilled meats while they are cooking. The sauce pairs well with chicken and pork, adding a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to your BBQ dishes.
Serve with your favorite BBQ, try brushed over chicken wings or a rack of baby back pork ribs. Or how about loading a bun with your favorite pulled pork and drizzling over some Carolina gold sauce – delicious!
How to store
To store: Transfer the sauce to a clean jar or a squeezable bottle. Store it in the refrigerator, it will keep for 2-3 weeks if stored properly.
My Caroline gold sauce is made with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard (both liquid and ground), brown sugar and honey and added spices, including black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.
This is a creamy texture BBQ sauce where the predominant flavor is mustard. Carolina gold sauce has the perfect balance of sweet, sour and spicy flavors. The sweetness comes from the light brown sugar, balanced with the right amount of sourness from the apple cider vinegar, heat from the yellow mustard and smoky spicing from the smoked paprika and garlic powder.
If you have tried this Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium saucepan until well combined and smooth.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and allow the sauce to come to a slight simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- After cooking, remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature. Serve with your favorite BBQ, try it with pulled pork or chicken wings.
- Transfer the sauce to a clean jar or a squeezable bottle. Store it in the refrigerator, it will keep for 2-3 weeks if stored properly.
- Use this sauce as a marinade, dipping sauce, or to baste your favorite grilled meats.
- It pairs well with chicken and pork, adding a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to your BBQ dishes.