Pepperoni pizza sliders can be assembled in minutes, so they are a great mid week dinner option or party appetizer. Start by topping sweet bread rolls with sliced mozzarella cheese, your favorite pizza sauce and slices of pepperoni, before brushing with a herb butter and baking in a hot oven until the cheese is gooey and molten.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Easy pizza sliders are my go to for an easy dinner or quick weekend lunch, and they are ideal when you are feeding a crowd as this recipe is easily doubled or tripled when catering for friends and family.
Oven-baked pizza sliders are less cooking, and more of an assembly job. They make a great party or games night snack as they can be prepared ahead and popped in the oven when you are ready to serve.
You can find these simple ingredients in your local grocery store:
- Hawaiian sweet rolls – the sweetness of these rolls go well with the savoriness of the pizza sauce and pepperoni.
- Sliced mozzarella cheese – I prefer sliced mozzarella cheese rather than shredded so I can get the ultimate cheese pull. Plus, using sliced cheese ensures all pieces of the bread gets covered.
- Pizza sauce – I love using my homemade pizza sauce in this recipe.
- Pepperoni – The star of the show. But feel free to omit or add other meats, like sausage, instead.
- Topping – Unsalted butter, Italian seasoning, Kosher salt, Ground black pepper.
How to make Pepperoni Pizza Sliders
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
Take rolls and use a bread knife to slice the rolls in half, separating the tops from the bottoms. Place the bottom layer of rolls in the prepared baking dish.
Lay the mozzarella cheese slices on the bottom layer of the rolls in a single layer. Then spread pizza sauce on top of the cheese.
Then lay the pepperoni slices on top of the sauce. Cover the pepperoni slices with the top layer of rolls.
In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Brush the melted butter over the tops of the rolls.
Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden and the cheese has melted.
Remove from oven and serve while hot.
These tips will help you make the best pizza sliders you’ve ever tried.
- Make sure to add the layer of cheese on top of the bread roll base, before adding the sauce in this recipe. Adding the sauce to the bread first will result in soggy sliders.
- Glaze the rolls with the herb butter just before you place them into the hot oven, otherwise, you risk the tops becoming too wet.
You can add other flavors to the these sliders, and here are some ideas to get you started:
- I’ve used sliced pepperoni, but you could substitute with sliced salami, thin slices of ham or cooked bacon strips.
- Swap the pepperoni for some roasted or sauteed vegetables like sliced mushrooms, bell peppers or zucchini.
- Add some sliced black olives.
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, use some dried oregano and a pinch of garlic powder in the herb butter.
- To make the rolls extra cheesy, once you’ve glazed the rolls with the herb butter, sprinkle over some finely shredded Parmesan.
What to serve with Pizza Sliders
This recipes serves 6 as a main meal, allowing 2 sliders per person. However, it also makes a great tasting snack for games night. I like to serve sliders with some of my favorite salads, try my Southern Cucumber Salad, Fresh Corn Salad or my Creamy Dill Potato Salad.
How to store
To refrigerate: These sliders are best served hot, straight from the oven. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. When ready to heat up, place it back into a hot oven to warm through.
To freeze: You can assemble these sliders, leaving off the herb butter, then wrap in kitchen foil and place them into a Ziploc bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, place into an oven-proof dish and cook from frozen, although they will take a little extra time in the oven. Just remember to glaze the rolls with the herb butter before baking.
Make ahead: You can assemble the sliders earlier in the day, then pop them in the oven when you are ready to enjoy. Just ensure that you layer them up exactly as I’ve suggested in the recipe card, as this will stop the pizza sauce from running into the bread and making it soggy. Also, only glaze the sliders with the herb butter just before popping them into the hot oven.
I like to use sliced of mozzarella as it cooks well and becomes gooey and molten, perfect for pizza. However, you could also use sliced cheddar or provolone cheese.
No need to cover with foil, they’re not in the oven that long and you want the sliders to become golden on top when baking in the oven.
If you have tried this Pizza Sliders recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders (So Easy)
- 1 package Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 8 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 4 oz sliced pepperoni
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste about 1/8 tsp each
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Take rolls and use a bread knife to slice the rolls in half, separating the tops from the bottoms. Place the bottom layer of rolls in the prepared baking dish.
- Lay the mozzarella cheese slices on the bottom layer of the rolls in a single layer. Then spread pizza sauce on top of the cheese. Then lay the pepperoni slices on top of the sauce. Cover the pepperoni slices with the top layer of rolls.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Brush the melted butter over the tops of the rolls.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and serve while hot. Enjoy.