My Crispy Roasted Okra is a classic Southern side dish. In a few steps I show you how to cook okra in the oven, with a simple spice blend of salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. This is one of those easy side dishes you will come back to again and again.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Oven roasted okra features regularly in my family meal planning, as this easy side dish can be prepared, cooked and on the table in just 25 minutes. Okra is great at absorbing flavor so I like to add extra layers of subtle spicing, before roasting the okra in the oven.
The main complaint with okra is that it can be slimy. So, if you’ve not cooked okra before, but would like to give it a try it, this is a great place to start, as there is nothing slimy about this side dish.
Roasted in the oven, this okra has a lot of flavor and a bit of crispiness. It’s the perfect easy and tasty side dish.
For a completely different way to cook okra, try my Stewed Okra and Tomatoes.
Here’s what you will need to make the best roasted okra:
- Okra – fresh okra, sliced into ½ inch pieces.
- Olive oil – or similar flavored oil.
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Smoked paprika
How to roast okra
Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C).
Wash and thoroughly dry the okra, before slicing into ½ inch pieces.
Place the sliced okra in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the okra, ensuring all pieces are coated. Next, sprinkle the kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and smoked paprika over the okra. Toss everything together until the okra is evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
Spread the okra pieces in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the okra for 15-18 minutes or until the okra is tender and lightly browned. You can stir or flip the okra halfway through cooking to ensure even roasting, but this is optional.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the okra cool for a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
These tips will help you make the best roasted okra you’ve ever tried.
- Make sure the okra is dry before roasting for best results.
- Use regular olive oil to roast okra, rather than extra virgin olive oil which has too low a burn temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Lay the okra out in a single layer on the baking sheet, you want it to roast, not steam in the oven.
- I’ve used olive oil, but sunflower oil, avocado oil, or a similar oil will work too.
- Adapt the spicing to suit your tastes, add ground cumin or coriander.
- If you like your food extra spicy, add some red pepper flakes.
- I prefer to use fresh okra, if using frozen okra try and find pre-cut slices, as it’s very hard to chop okra when it’s frozen. Also if using frozen okra I recommend adding an extra 10-12 minutes in the oven to allow it time to crisp up.
How to serve roasted okra
Oven roasted okra is a great side dish, I will often serve it with a wedge of fresh lemon to squeeze over. Crispy roasted okra is great with Southern dishes like my Southern Meatloaf, or my Air Fryer Lemon Garlic Shrimp.
How to store
To refrigerate: Roasted okra is a vegetable that is best served hot from the oven. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To freeze: Once cooked and cooled, place the okra into an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy you can cook in a hot oven from frozen.
Okra has a lovely fresh, grassy, slightly sweet flavor.
The trick when cooking okra is to make sure you get it nice and dry before you start cooking. Leave any moisture there and it will be slimy. I wash and thoroughly dry okra before cooking it, and I like to roast okra in the oven, which results in crispy okra every time.
Although treated like a vegetable in terms of how it is flavored and cooked, Okra is actually a fruit. It is the seed pod of the plant.
If you have tried this roasted okra recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Place the sliced okra in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the okra, ensuring all pieces are coated. Next, sprinkle the kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and smoked paprika over the okra. Toss everything together until the okra is evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Spread the okra pieces out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the okra for 15-18 minutes, or until the okra is tender and lightly browned. You can stir or flip the okra halfway through cooking to ensure even roasting, but this isn't essential.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the okra cool for a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.