I know that you will just love this classic Southern side dish! This vegan stewed okra and tomatoes recipe is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes and requires minimal prep.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Stewed okra and tomatoes is one of my favorite summer sides. Packed full of veggies, it’s so flavorful and comes together quickly and easily all in one pot.
How To Make Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Gather and prep your ingredients.
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened and translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the pot occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
This stew is pretty perfect as it is, but it’s easy to make your own!
- Instead of canola, cook some bacon in the pot before adding the onions and garlic. This will give the stew a wonderful smokey flavor.
- If you like things spicy, add in a little extra hot sauce, or omit it altogether if you are sensitive to spicy foods.
- I used frozen corn for ease and convenience, but fresh corn works wonderfully well. If you are in a pinch, you can use canned corn.
What is okra?
Okra is also known as ‘gumbo’ or ‘ladies’ fingers’, it has a mild taste that is often compared to eggplant or green beans. When cooked in this stew it becomes wonderfully tender. It’s a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber.
Can you make this stew ahead of time?
This stew can be made a day ahead of time and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. You can then reheat it gently on the stovetop to serve. I don’t recommend storing it for any longer as the texture of the okra can change.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Cook the stew in a heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven. It will help to distribute the heat more evenly and you won’t get hot spots that can scorch the bottom of the stew.
- Cut the okra into similar sized pieces so that it cooks evenly.
More Easy Vegetable Recipes
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened and translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the Bay leave before serving. Serve and enjoy 🙂