Embrace the soothing warmth of a Bourbon Hot Toddy, the perfect drink to wind down on a chilly evening. Let the subtle hints of ginger, bourbon, and lemon gently cradle your senses, making every sip a comforting experience. Especially delicious when feeling unwell. This post is intended for an audience of 21 and over only.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Besides its soothing effects, a bourbon hot toddy is also enjoyed for its great taste. The mix of sweet honey, tart lemon, and rich bourbon creates a delicious flavor. Plus, the added spices like cinnamon make it feel extra cozy, making it a favorite for holiday gatherings or quiet evenings at home.
Are warm cocktails some of your favorites? This Irish Coffee and Turtle Coffee Recipe is sure to warm you, and not just from the heat! My Holiday Mulled Wine is great for gatherings, and this Shamrock Mint Hot Chocolate is perfect for the kiddos!
- Ginger tea bag: This provides the base flavor for our hot toddy, infusing the drink with a lovely hint of spiciness and warmth. If ginger tea is not available, black tea or chamomile tea is a good replacement.
- Hot water: The essential component that binds all the flavors together, making the drink warm and soothing.
- Bourbon: Adds a rich depth and smoothness to the beverage. Bourbon’s caramel and vanilla notes perfectly complement the spiciness of the ginger. Any kind of Bourbon will do. I usually use Woodford Reserve. You can also use your favorite Tennessee whiskey. We like Uncle Nearest.
- Honey: A natural sweetener that not only adds a touch of sweetness but also brings out the flavors of the other ingredients. It balances the tartness of the lemon and the kick of bourbon. Use other sweeteners like maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Fresh lemon juice: Balancing out the sweetness of the honey and the warmth of the bourbon and ginger.
- Lemon slice and cinnamon stick for garnish: These not only make the drink visually appealing but also add an aromatic and flavorful touch. The cinnamon provides a mild spiciness and warmth, while the lemon slice enhances the freshness.
Tools needed for this recipe
- Serving mug
How To Make A Bourbon Hot Toddy
Boil 6 ounces of water in a kettle or a pot.
In a mug, steep the ginger tea bag in the hot water for 3-5 minutes to infuse the water with the ginger flavor.
Remove the tea bag, and add bourbon, honey, and lemon juice to the mug. Stir well to ensure the honey dissolves and the ingredients are well combined.
Garnish with a lemon slice and cinnamon stick. Serve the hot toddy immediately while it is warm.
How to serve a Bourbon Hot Toddy
A cocktail such as the hot toddy evokes a warm and comforting feeling. Picture flickering candles, fluffy blankets, and the crackling of a fireplace.
Serving your hot toddy in a clear glass mug is a beautiful way to showcase this cocktails’ lovely color and garnishes.
Pair your bourbon hot toddy with a light snack. Some buttery cookies, a meat and cheese board, or a slice of warm pie.
Spiced Orange Bourbon Hot Toddy – The addition of orange juice and ground cloves gives a citrusy brightness and a hint of spice.
Apple Cider Bourbon Hot Toddy – Using apple cider instead of water provides a natural sweetness and a depth of apple flavor which pairs well with bourbon.
Vanilla Maple Bourbon Hot Toddy – Swapping honey for maple syrup and adding a hint of vanilla creates a smooth, rich, and slightly woodsy flavor profile.
Of course! Traditional hot toddies were made with whiskey, but rum can also be a great alternative.
Many people will turn to a hot toddy for relief when fighting off a cold. The warmth combined with honey, lemon, and ginger can provide relief for a sore throat and congestion.
Yes! Skip the bourbon, or use a zero-proof bourbon alternative like Kentucky 74 by Spiritless.
- Any kind of Bourbon will do. I usually use Woodford Reserve. You can also use your favorite Tennessee whiskey. We like Uncle Nearest.
Looking for more cocktail recipes? Try these out:
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Bourbon Hot Toddy
- 1 Ginger tea bag
- 6 ounces Hot water
- 3 ounces Bourbon
- 1 Tablespoon Mild honey
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon slice and cinnamon stick for garnish
- Boil 6 ounces of water in a kettle or a pot.
- In a mug, steep the ginger tea bag in the hot water for 3-5 minutes to infuse the water with the ginger flavor.
- Remove the tea bag, and add bourbon, honey, and lemon juice to the mug. Stir well to ensure the honey dissolves and the ingredients are well combined.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and cinnamon stick. Serve the hot toddy immediately while it is warm.
- Any kind of Bourbon will do. I usually use Woodford reserved. You can also use your favorite Tennessee whiskey. We like Uncle Nearest.