This Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry recipe is a delicious quick meal that can be made any day of the week. Tender pieces of chicken and green beans covered in an amazing ginger-based sauce.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
I recently purchased a Cast Iron wok and I’ve been going crazy making stir fry food lately. I love Asian food, especially stir fried anything. Inspired by the famous Panda Express String Bean Chicken Breast, this recipe is made with chicken, green beans, and a sauce filled with my favorite Asian staples.
In order to get the tenderest pieces of chicken in this recipe, I do a process called velveting the chicken. This easy yet simple trick gets the smoothest and velvety chicken you will ever taste. Ever wonder how your favorite Chinese takeout does it? They velvet it.
How to Make Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry
First, I prepare my chicken breast by velveting them. You can totally skip this step if you are short on time or if you don’t care much about smooth velvet chicken.
Slice your chicken breast into thin strips and then place them in a bowl. Cover them with baking soda and toss until they are all coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mis en pace your ingredients by getting everything sliced, diced, and mixed. Stir frys need to be cooked quickly so you need to have everything already chopped out and prepped.
Chop your onion, mince your garlic, grate your ginger, and snap/trim your green beans. I place mine into little glass bowls.
Then I mix my sauce by combining soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and white sugar.
After my 30 min time of the chicken being in the fridge is up, I remove the chicken and rinse it under cold water in order to remove all the baking soda. Then I dry the chicken pieces with good quality paper towels.
Gather all your ingredients.
Prepare your wok by turning it on over medium-high heat. Since I’m using cast iron, I will only go up to medium-high as it gets super hot.
Once the wok is hot, add oil and allow it to heat up a bit, about 30 seconds.
Then add chicken and let that cook until all pieces are done, for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove chicken and place in clean bowl. Add onions, garlic, ginger and cook for about 3 minutes, or until onions have softened a bit. Add green beans, with a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper, and cook for about 7-8 minutes until they are slighlty tender.
Then add chicken back to the wok along with the sauce. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes in the sauce.
Remove and serve.
This recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal as well as meal prep. I like to store them in my containers along with brown rice.
I hope you enjoy this green bean chicken as much as we do.
Looking for other quick weeknight stir fry meals? Try these out:
This recipe goes great with this Pressure Cooker Brown Rice.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please Subscribe to our Youtube channel for the full recipe video. Click the little bell icon to be notified everytime we upload a recipe.
Watch this video tutorial and see how I make this Easy Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry from start to finish.
Chicken and Green Bean Stir Fry
- 4 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1.5 lb chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional Step: Add baking soda to chicken and toss to combine. Set aside in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables by trimming green beans, slicing onion, mincing garlic, and grating ginger. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil and set aside.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and rinse off the baking soda. Place chicken pieces in paper towel and dry them.
- Heat wok or skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add in oil. Add chicken pieces. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, stirring while it cooks, for about 5 minutes. Remove chicken pieces once they are cooked.
- Add a little more oil and add in onions, garlic, and ginger. Stir and cook until the onions have softened, about 3 minutes. Add green beans and stir until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken and sauce to the wok. Stir and allow to cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Remove and serve.
- This recipe can be made in a wok or skillet.
- If short on time, skip the velveting process.