This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe is a delicious spin on traditional macaroni salad. The creamy tangy and sweet sauce combined with pasta and bright vegetables make this the perfect pasta salad.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Summer is made for cookouts, spiked lemonade, and macaroni salad. Ok, summer is so much more than that but if you know me, you know I love me some summer. Speaking of summer, one of my best summer memories is from a summer when I was 17 and I traveled to Hawaii to stay for an entire month! Best summer ever!!! Although the summer I got married on June 21st, the first day of summer, may just have that one beat. Either way, I had a blast in Hawaii visiting family, volunteering at the local hospital, hiking, attending luau’s, and straight chilling.
I love this recipe for Hawaiian Macaroni Salad because everytime I make it it brings back memories of my time on the island (I only stayed on Oahu). This recipe is so simple yet delicious that it’s a must try for any macaroni salad lover.
What is Hawaiian Macaroni Salad?
It’s a creamy sweet and tangy salad that can be found all over Hawaii. There are many additions that can be added, but base recipes generally include elbow macaroni that has been slightly over cooked and lots of good quality mayonnaise.
What makes Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Different?
The Sauce!! It’s sweet, tangy, and oh so delicious. The mayonniase, milk, and apple cider vinegar are keys to the sauce. Most Hawaiian Macaroni Salad recipes require at least 2 cups of mayonaise…this one does not. I’m not that into mayonnaise and the movie Undercover Brother makes me feel bad for even liking it. Just kidding. But I feel that my version just didn’t need 2 cups.
Traditional Hawaiian Macaroni Salad also tends to have super soft overcooked noodles to absorb all the creamy sauce. I like my noodles cooked to al dente so I don’t overcook it. My obsession with the dish is with the sauce.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad with or without Tuna, That is the Question!
The beauty of this dish is that it is amazing with or without tuna. I make it both ways often, my daughter doesn’t like the tuna (hence why my photos are missing tuna). On the other hand, everyone else loves it with tuna. Your choice, both are amazing.
I really hope you enjoy this Hawaiian Macaroni Salad recipe. It’s perfect for bbq’s, cookouts, and for meal preps throughout the week.
Tips for Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Allow your macaroni to cool for about 10 -15 minutes before adding the sauce. That will help keep your sauce creamy.
- Use high quality mayonnaise only for this recipe. Any high quality brand will do.
- Have fun with the additions to the recipe. Sub veggies for other veggies, protein for other proteins, etc. It’s the sauce that really makes this dish pop.
- This macaroni salad is best after refrigeration. 2 hours is usually enough for the flavors to mend together.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 1 lb uncooked macaroni pasta
- 1.25 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup seedless cucumber chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 2 5 oz cans chunk light tuna (optional add in)
- Prepare elbow macaroni as indicated on the box, drain, and set aside to cool.
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, milk, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Place pasta, red onion, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, and tuna (if you are using tuna) in a separate bowl. Pour sauce over top and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and Enjoy.
Step by Step Photos of Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Loving this summer pasta salad recipe? Try my Cold Seafood Salad Recipe.
Pin Hawaiian Salad For Later
Have you tried this recipe? Lease us a comment below and let us know how you liked it 🙂