This Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge Recipe is one I grew up eating. Now my daughter, hubby, and I enjoy this recipe almost weekly. Make it in the Instant Pot for a hands off breakfast. This post contains affiliate links, read my full disclosure policy here.
Instapot!!! Ok, I know…it’s called Instant Pot, but I like saying Instapot! I got an instant pot over the Christmas break and I’ve been loving this thing. What the heck is an Instant Pot you may ask?!? Well that’s what I wondered when I ordered it with no clue what it was. But everyone was getting it so I wanted one too. Well, it’s pretty much a pressure cooker. An electronic genius pressure cooker that won’t blow up in your kitchen if you follow the instructions. It has tons of settings and you can find one on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price.
My instant pot has a bunch of settings, from meat, poultry, soup, saute, slow cooker, and porridge. Yes, there is a setting on the instant pot for porridge. It isn’t quite clear what they expect to be made with this setting but I automatically thought about Jamaican cornmeal porridge and got excited. Pretty much the reason I bought mine.
Jamaican cornmeal porridge is simply made with yellow cornmeal, milk, water, spices, and condensed milk. That’s it for this easy breakfast. It’s served warm and I like to serve mine with a side of bacon. I would serve everything with a side of bacon if I could. Bacon is amazing.
I hope you enjoy this easy peasy breakfast recipe as much as we do. Keep a lookout for some other Instapot recipes to come your way. This thing is pretty cool.
Notes on Instant Pot Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Traditionally, cornmeal porridge is made on the stove and requires stirring. If you’re going to use the Instapot, make sure you use super fine cornmeal to avoid any lumps.
- I use condensed milk to sweeten my porridge. Feel free to use sugar as a substitute if you like.
Instant Pot Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- 4 cups water seperated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, fine
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 pimento berries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Set Instant pot on porridge setting for 6 minutes. Add 3 cups water and 1 cup milk to Instant pot. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup water and cornmeal until fully combined. Add to instant pot and whisk. Add cinnamon sticks, pimento berries, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Cover and cook for 6 minutes. Once timer goes off, allow to naturally release. Once done with natural release, add sweetened condensed milk to sweeten. Enjoy 🙂
Video for Instant Pot Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
Pin Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge for Later