This Traditional Jamaican Ginger Beer recipe is an old family recipe that is simple to make. Serve over ice for a great tasting island drink.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Homemade Jamaican ginger beer tastes superior to any store bought alternative. This is a refreshing drink, and once you’ve tried this recipe you won’t buy store bought ginger beer again. As it is so easy to make, a jug of this Classic Jamaican ginger beer is perfect to serve at holiday get togethers with family and friends.
This homemade version is non-carbonated, non-alcoholic, and only takes a few ingredients to make. The process is simple as well. Ginger root is pureed, then added to boiling water along with cloves and cream of tartar. Once cooled the liquid is sieved before fresh lime juice, sugar, and vanilla extract are added
Ginger is naturally good for you and has many health properties, including being a great boost to your immune system. So ideal to drink over the colder winter months to prevent colds and flu.
Here is what you will need for this recipe:
- Ginger root, peeled and chopped
- Whole cloves
- Cream of tartar
- Lime juice from fresh limes
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make Jamaican Ginger Beer
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil on the stove-top.
- Meanwhile, add peeled and chopped ginger root and 2 cups of water to a blender. If you don’t have a blender, grate the ginger.
- Pulse until the ginger is finely chopped and mixed with the water.
- Add the ginger to the boiling water and stir it in.
- Remove from the heat immediately.
- Add the cloves and cream of tartar and cover.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Once cool, place in the refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight.
- Drain the ginger mixture and place the liquid into a large pitcher.
- In a separate container, add the freshly squeezed lime juice and whisk in the brown sugar. This will allow the sugar to dissolve easily in the drink, similar to this Jamaican Lemonade.
- Add the lime and sugar mixture to the pitcher of ginger beer, along with the vanilla extract, and stir.
- Serve the ginger beer over ice.
These tips will help you make the best Jamaican ginger beer you’ve ever tasted.
- Peel the ginger. Leaving the skin on can result in a bitter tasting drink.
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar is added to the ginger beer. However, this can be adjusted up or down, depending on taste. If you like it a little sweeter add more sugar, less sweet then add less sugar. You can also use honey in place of the sugar or granulated sugar.
- The longer the ginger beer sits, the stronger it will taste. Once made allow it to sit for at least 4 hours, but I prefer to leave it for 24 hours if time permits.
- Serve this drink cold. It’s nice and refreshing.
I like this ginger beer just as it is, but here are some other options:
- If you can find Jamaican ginger it is the best to use in this recipe as it is an aromatic and pungent ginger, superior in flavor to other ginger root. Otherwise use the ginger root you can find in-store.
- If you don’t have limes, lemon would be a good swap, although lemon is far more bitter in taste so you might have to adjust the sugar.
- Strictly for the over 21 audience only, this ginger beer poured over ice with a shot of rum makes a delicious drink. Or add the drink to your favorite cocktail.
Store the ginger beer in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Ginger beer is typically fermented, which is why the cream of tartar is added, it stops the sugar from crystallizing. It deepens the flavor of ginger beer as well.
This ginger beer is packed full of ginger root which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger also helps boost the immune system, helping to prevent colds and flu.
This natural ginger beer is ideal as ginger root aids the digestive process so is good for your gut health too. It helps to settle the stomach, combating any nausea or ill effects from over eating.
If you have tried this Jamaican Ginger Beer recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Homemade Jamaican Ginger Beer
- 10 cups water separated – 8 cups and 2 cups
- 1 lb ginger root peeled and chopped
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup lime juice from fresh limes
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar add more or less to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil on the stovetop. Meanwhile, add ginger root and 2 cups of water to a blender. Pulse until the ginger is finely chopped and mixed with the water.
- Add the ginger to the boiling water and stir it in. Remove from heat immediately. Add the cloves and cream of tartar and cover. Allow the mixture to cool. Place in the refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight.
- Drain the ginger mixture and place the liquid into a large pitcher. In a separate container, add the freshly squeezed lime juice and whisk in the brown sugar. Add this to the pitcher of ginger beer, along with the vanilla extract, and stir.
- Serve the ginger beer over ice.
- Store the ginger beer in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Ginger beer is typically fermented, which is why the cream of tartar is added. It deepens the flavor of ginger beer as well.
- The longer the ginger beer sits, the stronger it will taste.