This salmon wellington recipe (salmon en croute) is simple enough for a family meal, but fancy enough to impress company! Easy to prep, this impressive main course is wonderfully fresh and delicious.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
This is one of my favorite ways to cook salmon! It’s such a classic dish and it’s so much easier to make than you think!
A wonderfully fresh salmon fillet is surrounded by a cream cheese and spinach mixture and then incased in fluffy an light puff pastry.
Be sure to try my Easy Oven-Baked Salmon recipe too.
How To Make A Salmon Wellington – Step by Step Photos
- Combine spinach, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Mix until fully combined.
- Season salmon with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Lay the puff pastry on flat surface and roll until smooth. In the center of the pastry, add half of the spinach mixture
- Lay the salmon on top.
- Add the remaining spinach mixture on top of the salmon.
- Fold over sides of puff pastry to enclose spinach and salmon inside the pastry.
- Flip the pastry over and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Score the pastry with a pairing knife
- Brush the beaten egg over the pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven until the top is nice and golden. Remove and enjoy.
Can you make this ahead of time?
This salmon recipe is best served straight out of the oven so that the salmon is perfectly fresh and the pastry is flakey. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can reheat it in the oven at 400F for 5 to 8 minutes until warmed through to serve.
Can you freeze salmon en croute?
If you are planning to make this as part of a bigger feast, or looking for a freezer meal, this is a great option. You can freeze the uncooked wellington and then cook it straight from frozen.
Freeze it on a baking sheet, once solid wrap it in plastic wrap and foil and it will keep for up to 3 months. Cook the frozen wellington in a preheated oven at 400F for about 45 minutes.
What to serve with Salmon Wellington
I like to serve this with some fresh veggies and a potato side, but it works equally well with a green salad for a delicious summer meal. Try it with:
What’s the best salmon to use?
I like to use a skinless salmon fillet for this recipe, and I prefer to use one large fillet. If you need to, you can also use 4 smaller fillets placed next to each other. So that the salmon is as fresh as possible, I like to buy it on the morning I’m making it.
You can use frozen salmon fillet, just be sure to thaw it completely before adding it to the pastry.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to the instructions on the package.
- You can cut the spinach and cheese mixture in half if you prefer and place the mixture on one side of the salmon.
More Easy Fish Recipes
Watch this video tutorial and see how I make this salmon from start to finish.
- 12 oz frozen spinach drained and squeezed dry
- 8 oz cream cheese softened and cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt* or to taste
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lb skinless salmon
- 1 puff pastry sheet thawed
- 1 medium egg lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine spinach, cream cheese,Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Mix until fully combined.
- Season salmon with a little bit of salt and pepper. Lay puff pastry on flat surface and roll until smooth. In the center of the pastry, add half of the spinach mixture, then lay salmon on top, then add remaining spinach mixture on top.
- Fold over sides of puff pastry to enclose spinach and salmon inside the pastry. Flip the pastry over and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Score the pastry with a pairing knife and brush egg over the pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is nice and golden. Remove and enjoy.
You can cut the spinach and cheese mixture in half if you prefer and place the mixture on one side of the salmon.