My Homemade Simple Syrup recipe can be made in minutes by combining water and sugar. Once made it’s ready to add to your favorite cocktails and mocktails, to add a touch of sweetness to lemonade, or try adding it to your favorite iced teas and coffees.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
As summer approaches, I love sitting outdoors enjoying a cocktail with the sun on my face. This simple sugar syrup works perfectly in my Paloma Cocktail recipe. Combined with tequila and grapefruit soda it makes the perfect summer sunshine cocktail.
This is a simple syrup recipe using a basic ratio of 1:1 sugar to water and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. Just allow it to cool and add it to your favorite cocktail or iced drink.
I’ve kept the recipe simple, but you can add a variety of flavors to this syrup, from fresh herbs to spices and fresh fruits. To help you out, I’ve included some additional flavor suggestions later in the post.
- Sugar – I use white granulated sugar but you can use any type of sugar for this recipe.
- Water – use tap water if you are lucky enough to live somewhere with good water, if not use filtered water.
How to make Simple Syrup
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Stir and cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved about 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Store in an airtight container and use in soft drinks or cocktail recipes, hot or iced teas, and coffees.
Other ways to heat the simple syrup
You don’t have to make simple syrup on the stovetop in a pan. My other two favorite methods of making a simple syrup are quick and easy and require no stovetop.
- Simple Syrup with a Kettle – Heat your water in a kettle and add it to a heat-proof jar with a lid, like a mason jar. Add the sugar to the jar, cover, and shake it until the sugar is dissolved.
- Microwave Simple Syrup – Combine the sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup and stir the sugar and water mixture until thoroughly mixed. Microwave the mixture on high for approximately one minute, then remove carefully (the bowl may still be hot) and stir. Return to microwave and microwave for another 30 seconds.
These tips will help you make the best simple syrup you’ve ever tried.
- Take care not to burn yourself when decanting the hot liquid into a container. I often use a funnel to avoid any spillages.
- Sugar syrup will last in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, after that, it can start to turn cloudy which is a sign that the syrup has spoiled.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely before adding it to cold drinks.
- You can use any type of sugar you like for this recipe. I like to use white granulated sugar, but white superfine sugar, brown sugar, or coconut sugar would also be good choices.
- Brown sugar will result in a slight caramel flavor.
- Make a honey syrup using the same 1:1 ratio of honey to water.
- You can also make flavored simple syrups by adding herbs, spices, or fruit to the sugar and water mixture before heating:
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- cinnamon stick, a grating of nutmeg, or a vanilla pod
- sliced root ginger
- a few slices of lemon or orange
Add to a variety of drinks, cocktails, and mocktails, anywhere where you want to add a touch of extra sweetness.
I like to add it to a Classic Lemonade recipe or use it to sweeten my Homemade Jamaican Ginger Beer, Jamaican Sorrel Drink, Jamaican Lemonade, Green Sherbet Punch, or my Strawberry Basil Lemonade
You can also use it to sweeten hot or iced tea or coffee drinks.
How long does homemade simple syrup last?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
It is made by combining and dissolving sugar in water over medium heat.
They are the same thing, simple syrup is sometimes called sugar syrup – they are both liquid sweeteners made by combining sugar and water.
One cup of sugar and one cup of water will yield 1 1/3 cups of syrup.
If you have tried this Simple Syrup recipe or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir and cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Use in any drink or cocktail recipe that calls for simple syrup.
- This recipe will yield 1 1/3 cups of simple syrup.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- You can use any type of sugar you like for this recipe. I like to use white sugar, but brown sugar or coconut sugar would also be good choices.
- You can also make flavored simple syrups by adding herbs, spices, or fruit to the sugar and water mixture before heating. For example, you could add a few sprigs of mint, a cinnamon stick, or a few slices of lemon.