A blend of sweetness with the bold flavors of bourbon, this Bourbon Milk Punch, a New Orleans original, is the creamy spiced cocktail you’ve been missing!
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
This creamy cocktail combines the warmth of bourbon with the richness of milk, balanced with sweet and spicy notes, creating the perfect beverage that is great served for brunch, a lazy afternoon, or a festive gathering.
Not the “punch” we’re most used to that typically features an array of fruit juices and bright colors. Believe it or not, the word punch comes from the Hindi word ‘panc‘ meaning five. Aside from the garnish, a punch recipe would consist of five ingredients.
- Whole Milk: The creamy base that enriches the drink, using skim or 2% milk will lessen the creaminess so I recommend using only whole milk.
- Bourbon: Bourbon adds warmth and a smoky, sweet complexity to the cocktail.
- Spiced Rum: Infuses the drink with a sweet and spicy note, complementing the bourbon wonderfully.
- Simple Syrup: Balances the robustness of the alcohol with a touch of sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract: Provides a sweet aroma and flavor, enhancing the overall flavor of the drink.
- Nutmeg for Garnish: Adds a sprinkle making the drink more inviting and festive.
Tools needed for this recipe
- Cocktail Shaker
- Rocks Glass
How To Make Bourbon Milk Punch
Combine the bourbon, spiced rum, whole milk, simple syrup, and vanilla extract in a cocktail shaker.
Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds to ensure the ingredients are well chilled and mixed.
Strain the cocktail into a rocks glass filled with ice.
Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. Enjoy your bourbon milk punch responsibly.
How to serve a bourbon milk punch
Serve Bourbon Milk Punch in a chilled rocks glass over ice. It pairs wonderfully with light appetizers, or sweet and savory brunch dishes, allowing its sweet and spicy notes to shine through.
Egg Nog Bourbon Milk Punch – Spice up your holiday and replace the whole milk with eggnog and garnish with ground cinnamon.
Coconut Cream Bourbon Milk Punch – Add a touch of tropical flare and replace the milk with coconut cream.
Coffee Infused Bourbon Milk Punch – Add cold brew coffee or espresso into your cocktail for some added caffeine. The bitterness of coffee can help to mellow out the sweetness of the cocktail.
Chocolate Bourbon Milk Punch – Add some chocolate shavings to the top to garnish, rim, or line the glass with chocolate syrup. Elevate your cocktail to a dessert cocktail with the simple addition of chocolate.
Of course! Replace the bourbon with Spiritless Kentucky 74 (they also have a spiced version!), and the spiced rum with Ritual Rum Alternative. Enjoy all of the flavors without an ounce of alcohol.
Yes, other milk alternatives like soy milk, almond milk, and oat milk will all work in place of dairy milk.
Preparing ahead of time for a larger gathering is a great idea. Simple double or triple the recipe, mix together in a pitcher, and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Pour over ice to serve. Don’t add ice to the pitcher and you’ll dilute the cocktail before serving.
- For a creamier texture, you can substitute the whole milk with half-and-half or heavy cream
Looking for more Bourbon recipes? Try these out:
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Bourbon Milk Punch
- 3 ounces whole milk
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce spiced rum
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 2 dashes vanilla extract
- Nutmeg for garnish
- Combine the bourbon, spiced rum, whole milk, simple syrup, and vanilla extract in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds to ensure the ingredients are well chilled and mixed.
- Strain the cocktail into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top. Enjoy your bourbon milk punch responsibly.