This mini rum carrot cake recipe may be the cutest thing you make all year. They are so cute and perfect for giving away to family and friends. They are also perfect for Valentine’s Day.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Happy New Year! 2017 is among us and it’s time for me to come off my vacation and comply with all my New Year’s resolutions. So for my first recipe for the new year, I decided to share this Mini Rum Carrot Cake Recipe. OK, I’m lying…I originally decided to share another recipe as the first recipe of the year and for some reason, I can’t find where I wrote out the recipe. 2017 is off to a great start! No worries, I’m sure I will come across that recipe one of these days but for now, I think these mini rum carrot cakes are a great way to start the year.
One of my changes that I intend to make to the blog for this year is to incorporate more Caribbean and African recipes to the blog. I’m half Jamaican and half African (Sierra Leone) so it seems like something I should just do, right? Plus, hubby and daughter are asking for it so why not. This won’t become a blog only dedicated to those kinds of recipes alone, at least I don’t think it will, but I would love to recreate some dishes from my culture so you all can see some of the foods I grew up eating.
So what about that this lovely Rum Carrot Cake Recipe?!? Well…I asked my Jamaican grandmother for some recipes and she laughed at me. Thanks Granny! She wasn’t one to write down her recipes and she sure didn’t take photos and blog about them. However, she collected a few cookbooks and was happy to hand them over to me. One of those cookbooks was Caribbean Cookbook by Rita G. Springer, published in 1968. There was a Carrot Pudding with Rum Sauce Recipe that I had to try. So I ran to my kitchen, created the recipe, and it was not a pudding at all. Instead, the batter was more like a cake batter so I decided these would become mini rum carrot cakes. I decided to create a cream cheese rum glaze to cover these cakes because cream cheese glaze rocks. Like seriously, what other glaze is better?
I decided to make these mini because the batter is not enough for a full cake recipe. I didn’t want to double it and felt that mini worked better for many reasons. First, these are great to give away around the Holidays and these are a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. I don’t know about you all, but me and my hunny love boozy desserts for Valentine’s Day. I think it’s obvious why. Second, mini recipes are just the cutest!
Well there you have it. Full video demonstration on how I make these Mini Rum Carrot Cakes is below. Here’s to a wonderful 2017!
Notes on Rum Carrot Cake
- I use a nice Jamaican dark rum for this recipe. It seems to create the best flavor for me.
- I grated my carrots by hand because I find grating soothing. I used the larger side of my grater as indicated in my video, resulting in larger pieces of carrot in my cake. Feel free to grate your carrots smaller.
- I used a good old fashioned zip lock bag to glaze the cake. Just place glaze in a ziplock bag, snip a corner, and glaze onto cake. Full demonstration is in video below.
Mini Rum Carrot Cake
- 1.5 cups carrot grated
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- .5 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups raisins
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp dark rum
- 2 Tbsp milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.Cream butter in mixer until fluffy, about a minute. Add sugar until sugar and butter are fully combined. Add egg, vanilla, rum, and carrots and allow to mix in.Add flour mixture into butter mixture and mix until incorporated. Add raisins and stir in.Add batter to greased mini bundt pans. Place in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.Remove from oven and allow to cook on cooling rack.
- While cake is baking, make glaze by creaming cream cheese in mixer until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and rum to mixture. Add milk if you want glaze to be thinner.
Place glaze in zip lock bag, snip a tiny piece of edge of zip lock bag, and glaze cake. Enjoy 🙂
Looking for more mini recipes for Valetine’s Day? Try these Coffee Brownies for Two with Hazelnut Glaze
Looking for more Cake Recipes?
- Grapefruit Cake with Glaze
- The best Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Orange Poppyseed Cake
If you like this Caribbean recipe, you’ll also like this Sweet Potato Pudding.