This Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is a delicious citrus flavored cake with the perfect amount of poppy seed crunch. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or an after dinner dessert.
March has arrived and I’m super hype about it. I’m only a few months closer to my all time favorite season, summer. But in the meantime, I’ll just enjoy the fact that it’s not freezing cold here in Carolina. Speaking of warmer weather, the change in temperature has made me want to get in the kitchen and bake more. Oddly enough, the warmer it is outside, the more I crave desserts like cakes and oven baked pies. So let me start by sharing this Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe with you.
I’m a huge fan of citrus desserts. Lemon meringue pie is a favorite around here and so is this Grapefruit Cake Recipe. But lemon is always the star of the desserts, so I figure why not give it a go with an orange. This Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake takes the cake…haha, get it?
I love this cake because it is so easy to put together and toss in your oven. I love the addition of vegetable oil rather than butter as it keeps the cake moist. I also love the addition of buttermilk for the texture and taste.
Speaking of buttermilk, I tend to run out of it quite frequently, especially when I want to use it in a baked good. I’ve found a good subsitution is to use 1 cup milk and 1 tsp of white vingear. Just combine the two in a measuring cup and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes. Like magic, your milk curdles a little and makes a wonderful buttermilk subsitute.
I like to enjoy this cake with a nice hot cup of coffee and staring out my living room window. I tend to do this a lot while I listen to a great playlist. For this, Isacc Hayes Walk on By is what I enjoy listening to. I hope you enjoy this Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake as much as we do. Until the next baking adventure, enjoy 🙂
Looking for more dessert recipes? Try these out:
Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan and set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, salt in a bowl. Whisk and set aside. Beat sugar and oil in a large bowl. Add eggs in one at a time until combined. Add orange juice, vanilla extract, orange zest until combined. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk to large bowl, alternating between adding the flour and buttermilk until combined. Stir in poppyseeds. Pour batter into bundt cake pan and place into preheated oven. Bake for 50 min to 1 hour or until toothick entered into cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in bundt cake pan for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completey. Pour glaze over top of cake.
- Combine powdered sugar, orange juice, and zest and whisk to combine. Pour over cooled bundt cake. Enjoy!