A no-fuss sweet potato recipe that cooks itself! Utilize your slow cooker to prepare warm and fluffy sweet potatoes for dinner tonight. Top with butter, salt, and pepper, and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Let your slow cooker work for you, and clear out your oven for Juicy Oven Roasted Chicken Pieces or even Baked Turkey Thighs & Vegetables. Enjoy these sweet potatoes as a side to a wonderful meat dish. Enjoy them whole or mash the sweet potatoes for a delicious creamy side.
Sweet potatoes are a versatile ingredient, and you can make different dishes like my Golden Sweet Potato Cornbread, Sweet Potato Salad Recipe, and even Southern Sweet Potato Pie for dessert!
Just know that this method for making sweet potatoes is one of the easiest. Just rinse the sweet potatoes, place them in the slow cooker, cover them, and come back to perfectly cooked sweet potatoes.
Ingredients for slow-cooked sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes – Medium-sized sweet potatoes are best.
- Salt and pepper – Change up the seasoning to fit your meal; add some spice, or brown sugar for a sweeter dish.
- Butter – Use sour cream or cheese instead of butter.
Tools needed for this recipe
- Slow cooker – I use a 6-quart Crockpot slow cooker to accommodate the 6 sweet potatoes.
How to make whole sweet potatoes in a slow cooker
Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes with a produce brush.
Place sweet potatoes in the slow cooker insert.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Serve hot and add toppings.
Storing for leftover sweet potatoes
Store your leftover sweet potatoes in an airtight container, refrigerated for 3-5 days.
Can I make these sweet potatoes ahead of time?
Slow-cooking sweet potatoes is a perfect option for those who want to meal prep for the week. I wouldn’t plan on using these to meal prep for longer than a week as they’ll start to go bad. If prepped and stored properly, they’ll last you a week.
Make as directed, then dice, slice, or mash your sweet potatoes to fit whatever meal you’re planning.
To reheat, reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
I’ve kept it simple here in this recipe to let the sweet potato flavor speak for itself. Which is delicious by the way! Here are a few sweet potato topping ideas:
- I add the sweet potatoes into the slow cooker without drying them or poking holes in them. I found that step to be unnecessary.
- Making sure the sweet potatoes are of similar size will help them cook evenly.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Try these out:
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Mushrooms
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Hot Shrimp Dip
- 15 Bean Soup
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Super Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 6-8 Sweet potatoes medium-sized
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes with a produce brush.
- Place sweet potatoes in the slow cooker insert.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot and add toppings.
- I add the sweet potatoes into the slow cooker without drying them or poking wholes in them.
- I use a 6-quart slow cooker to accommodate the 6 sweet potatoes.