A warm and hearty dish to make during the winter season. Packed full of protein, cajun spice, and sweet tomatoes. Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve with crusty bread.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
You won’t be able to resist adding this to your dinner rotation. Perfect during those chilly days when all you want to do is cozy up with a blanket and a bowl of hot soup. Delicious and hearty, this dish won’t break the bank either as beans are a budget-friendly way to add more protein.
My other favorite winter month hearty soups are Oxtail Soup and my Brunswick Stew. I hope you love these just as much as I do!
Ingredients and Tools Needed
- Bag of 15 bean soup mix – You can usually find this in the grocery store in the bean aisle. It contains 15 bean varieties that include northern beans, pinto beans, large and baby lima, yelloweye, garbanzo, green split peas, kidney, cranberry, small white, pink, small red, lentil, yellow split peas, white kidney, and black beans.
- Mild or hot Italian sausage – Adds instant flavor to the bean recipe. I like to use ground Italian sausage in this recipe.
- Other Ingredients – Onions, garlic, cajun seasoning, chicken broth, water, can diced tomatoes.
- Sour cream (optional) – adding a bit of creamy sour cream after serving takes this soup over the top.
- Dutch oven pot
- Wooden spoon
How To Make 15-Bean Soup
You can choose to soak the beans overnight or skip the step all together. Soaking the beans will allow them to cook a bit faster.
In a large pot, brown Italian sausage over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and stir.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add soaked beans, chicken broth, and water.
Cover and cook for an additional 1-2 hours, until the beans are tender. Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve in soup bowls.
Enjoy as is, or top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy.
Can I Make 15-Bean Soup In An Instant Pot?
This recipe can easily be made in the instant pot as well. For this option, there isn’t any need to soak your beans overnight, just simply rinse and remove any bean debris.
- First, reduce the amount of chicken broth by 1 cup.
- Brown Italian sausage int he Instant Pot insert. Add onions and garlic and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and stir.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add beans, chicken broth, and water.
- Then pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. After the time is up, allow the pressure to release manually for 10 minutes before slowly releasing the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the tomatoes. Serve and enjoy.
Can I Make 15-Bean Soup In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, but you will need to do a bit of prep beforehand. First, place the beans in a large pot and cover with about 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes. Drain the beans and set them aside.
- Brown your meat, onions, and garlic first before adding them to your slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker except the canned tomatoes and seasonings.
- Secure the lid and cook on high for 7 hours without removing the lid.
- Remove the lid, add your seasonings and canned tomatoes, and stir to mix through.
Storage For Leftover 15-Bean Soup
Store leftover bean soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freezing leftover bean soup is also another great option if you have lots of leftovers. Freeze in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 6 months. Allow thawing overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What To Serve With This Soup
For topping your 15-bean soup, I recommend:
- A dollop of sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado
- Sliced Jalapeños
To serve alongside your bean soup, I recommend:
- Classic Southern Cornbread Recipe or Easy Cornbread Muffins
- Mayonnaise Biscuits or Homemade Air Fryer Biscuits
- Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls or Soft Air Fryer Dinner Rolls
Need more bean recipes?
Check out An Easy to Follow Guide for How to Cook Dried Beans. Or try these out:
If you’re looking for more soup recipes? Try these out:
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
15 Bean Soup
- 20 ounce Bag of 15 bean soup mix soaked overnight
- 1 pound Mild or hot italian sausage
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 14.5 oz Can diced tomatoes undrained
- Sour cream for topping optional
- In a large pot, brown Italian sausage over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and stir.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add soaked beans, chicken broth, and water.
- Cover and cook for an additional 1-2 hours, until the beans are tender. Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve in soup bowls.
- Enjoy as is, or top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy.
- This recipe can also be prepared in a pressure cooker or slow cooker.
Saturday 21st of January 2023
could i put this all in crock pot
Tuesday 24th of January 2023
Hi Cindy, Yes, I've included slow cooker instructions in the blog post. The soup mixture should be quick soaked before placing in a crockpot, mainly because the 15 bean mix contains kidney beans. Kidney beans should always be soaked before cooking.
Tuesday 17th of January 2023
Wednesday 18th of January 2023
Thanks so much George.
Friday 13th of January 2023
do you use or discard the seasoning pack included with the bean pack?
Tuesday 17th of January 2023
Hi sara, you can use the seasoning in the packet. It's usually cajun seasoning.