This light and flavorful Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe with Asian flavors is a must have on your lunch menu. Bring it to work or eat it at home on the weekends, you and your family will fall in love.
I tend to post on here once a week and missed last weeks posting. I seriously thought that I would be able to post while away on vacation but I seriously thought wrong. If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you may have noticed that I posted some gorgeous pics from Jamaica. I had so much fun visiting family, chillaxing, and eating some great food. I thought about not coming back but…I got bills. Speaking of bills, I returned to work yesterday and thankfully, it wasn’t a nightmare when I returned. I guess it’s a blessing when you love what you do.
I decided that my first post upon my return should be another bring your lunch to work recipe. In an attempt to save some coins so that I can continue to take amazing vacations I am trying to make more lunches that I can prep ahead of time and carry to work. This is where this Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe comes in handy.
This salad takes a bit of prep work when it comes to chopping, slicing, and dicing…but nothing too major. Once you’ve chopped your veggies, the rest of it comes together with great ease.
I generally make this salad on a Sunday (when Rotisserie chicken goes on sale at my local supermarket) and pack it away for lunch. It can serve me and hubby for about two lunch days.
Make sure you pack the salad portion (veggies and chicken) in a separate bowl from the dressing or else you will have soggy salad. Unless you’re into that kind of thing…
The dressing for this salad contains fish sauce, also known as stinky sauce in my house. I’ve eaten this salad at work and no one has called me stinky girl but be warned fish sauce has a well…fishy smell. Since this salad is so freaking good, I think it’s worth the risk of being called stinky girl.
Here are the recipe ingredients laid out on my itty bitty table. Don’t forget to top your salad with crushed peanuts…if you’re into that kind of thing.
I’ve created a recipe video for this one illustrating the creation of this wonderful Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe. Hope you all enjoy 🙂
Looking for my light recipes? Try these out:
Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe
For the Salad:
- 2 cups of shredded chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups of napa cabbage shredded
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek Also known as Vietnamese Chilli Paste
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- First, remove skin from rotisserie chicken and eat it because it is delicious! Then remove meat, preferably chicken breast and place in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine cabbage, bell pepper, green onion, carrot, cilantro, and mint in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add chicken to bowl with vegetables and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk.
- When ready to eat, top salad with crushed peanuts and dressing. Enjoy 🙂
Recipe adapted from Once Upon a Chef.