This Creamy Rotisserie Chicken Salad is such a quick and easy chicken salad recipe that is full of bold flavor. It’s perfect for sandwiches, wraps, and crackers.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Summer is almost here, which means I’m starting to cook less and less heavy dinners and switching over to a much lighter and easier menu. It’s too hot to do a ton of cooking and we just got a little bit of cable, so I’ll be binge watching my favorite old school television shows.
Thankfully, this rotisserie chicken salad saves the day when it comes to a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
I’m a firm believer that chicken salad should have the following components:
- It must be creamy! Dry chicken salad is meh, so I like to add a creamy component to mine. I use mayonnaise and the only brand I use is Duke’s. Some people leave out the mayo and use greek yogurt or more sour cream. I’ve never tried it so I can’t knock it. I’m just loyal to my mayo.
- It must have some form of vegetable or fruit. My fruity chicken salad recipe has apples and grapes and provides a sweeter component. This recipe uses avocado, bell pepper, and celery and has more of a tangy taste. Both recipes will be on full rotation this summer.
- It must have a little bit of crunch. For this recipe, I use celery to give the slightest amount of crunch.
How to make Rotisserie Chicken Salad?
First, find yourself a nice rotisserie chicken. You could use a roasted chicken you decide to bake yourself or you can just grab one from your local grocer. I know Costco has them for pretty cheap. My local grocer usually has a rotisserie chicken for 5 bucks on Sundays so I usually just grab one of those. You will likely need all of the meat from your chicken for this salad.
Allow your chicken to cool, you don’t want it piping hot. I usually use one that I refrigerated before hand.
Then, break all the meat off of the chicken, leave the skin behind. Use the white meat and the dark meat. This will give your salad the most amazing flavor. Don’t just stick to the chicken breast, break it all up.
I use my hands to break it up as it’s easier and then use a knife to cut it into bite sized pieces. You don’t want your chicken pieces too large or too small.
Place your chopped chicken, avocado, bell pepper, celery, red onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, whisk your mayonnaise, bbq sauce, sour cream, and relish in a bowl. Then add this mixture to your larger bowl with the chicken. Stir it all up, making sure it’s fully incorporated. Give it a little taste and add a little salt and black pepper to your liking.
Now I usually suggest leaving chicken salads in the fridge for a few hours to give the flavors a chance to mend but I found that this recipe didn’t need it. It was good as soon as I finished mixing.
How long does rotisserie chicken salad last?
Most Rotisserie chicken salad will last for about 3-4 days on your refrigerator. For this recipe with the avocados, it’s always gone within 2 days. It’s too dang on good. But also, those avocados can and will turn an ugly brown color if refrigerated too long.
How can I serve this rotisserie chicken salad?
The possibilities are endless. Sandwiches, wraps, lettuce wraps, and my favorite…with some tortilla chips!
Can I sub the rotisserie chicken?
Sure! You can use cooked chicken breast if you like. For ease though, I recommend a precooked chicken and a combination of white meat and dark meat.
I hope you enjoy this rotisserie chicken salad recipe. Looking for more salad recipes? Try these out.
- Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Kale and Broccoli Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing
- Cold Seafood Salad Recipe
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken meat removed and chopped, no skin
- 2 avocado peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp bbq sauce
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp relish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves for serving
- Combine chicken, avocado, red bell pepper, celery, and red onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk mayonnaise, bbq sauce, sour cream, and relish in a smaller bowl. Pour sauce mixture over chicken mixture and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on bread, lettuce for wraps, or as a dip. Whatever you prefer and Enjoy 🙂