These Banana Fritters are a delicious way to use up your ripe bananas. Fried to golden perfection, they are full of flavor and perfect for any meal.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Growing up in a Jamaican household has its perks. Every Saturday morning there was Beres Hammond or Bob Marley playing in the house as we cleaned and if we children were good, mom made us these delicious fritters.
Move over banana bread, you’ve got some competition. I’ve been told I have a pretty amazing banana bread recipe (took lots of trying out recipes to get that one perfect) but I can’t believe I haven’t written about these banana fritters before.
They were a huge yummy part of my childhood and I’m excited to share them with you today. They are the perfect way to use those ripe bananas before they go bad.
How to make Banana Fritters
First, grab three ripe bananas and smash them together with a fork until they are mashed and a little watery.
Then add your vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and salt to bananas. Next, add your all purpose flour. I use a sifter to add my flour. If you don’t have one, no worries, you can still make the recipe. I just find the sifter allows my flour mixture to incorporate into my mashed bananas easier.
Stir with a spoon until your mixture is fully combined. Your batter should not be too thick or thin but should flow easily off a spoon.
Pour about ¼ cup oil in a 10 inch skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Once your oil is hot, pour the fritters in pan by the spoonful.
Once bubbles appear in the top of the fritter and the bottom is golden brown, flip the fritters and cook until the other side is brown as well. Mine take about 2 minutes per side to brown.
Remove fritters from skillet and drain on paper towel. Ya mon 🙂
Looking for more Jamaican recipes? Try these out:
- Jamaican Carrot Juice
- Pressure Cooker Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Callaloo and Saltfish
- Sweet Potato Pudding
Easy Jamaican Banana Fritters
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Oil for frying.
- Mash bananas with fork in bowl.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla, extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Sift in flour and stir with spoon until fully combined.
- Add oil to a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, drop banana fritter batter in oil by the spoonful. Once one side is golden and bubbles appear on the top, flip fritter and cook until the other side is browned as well.
- Remove fritters and drain on paper towels. Enjoy 🙂
- The riper your bananas are, the sweeter your fritters will be. Modify sugar amount to your preference.
- The fritters are not meant to be fluffy like pancakes or bread. They are to be thinner and moist.
- If using a cast iron skillet, reduce heat to medium rather than medium high.