These Breakfast Air Fried Potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, just how breakfast potatoes should be. Step by step photos included to get the perfect breakfast potatoes in the air fryer. This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclosure here.
I love to make a big breakfast for my little family on Saturday mornings. This breakfast can range from biscuits and gravy (yum), to buttermilk pancakes (double yum), to freezer waffles (I know, I know…not so yum). Our weekend morning breakfast wouldn’t be complete without some good old fashioned breakfast potatoes as a side.
Making breakfast potatoes was a stressful task and a tad bit annoying before I bought my air fryer. Fact is, multitasking when it comes to making a complete breakfast is just downright exhausting. The beauty about these breakfast air fried potatoes is that they can be made in the air fryer while you tend to the more fun part of breakfast, like toasting your frozen waffles 😉
How to Air Fry Potatoes
Air Frying potatoes is pretty simple and can be done in 5 easy steps.
- Chop the potatoes
- Soak the potatoes
- Dry the potatoes
- Season the potatoes
- Air Fry the potatoes
All 5 steps are critical in making the perfect breakfast potatoes in the air fryer, especially step number 2, soaking the potatoes. I’m sure many people will be dissapointed when they hear about doing this step but it’s necessary. Soaking potatoes in cold water removes the extra starch that potatoes have and results in a potato that is perfectly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. It’s actually a method used by many chefs when it comes to frying a potato in hot oil. It makes sense that the same process would apply to the air fryer.
Optional Add Ins for Breakfast Air Fried Potatoes
Feel free to have fun with these breakfast potatoes. I like to keep my super simple and use dry seasonings. You can add onions and peppers if you like. You can also adjust the seasonings for taste preference. Just make sure to put a bottle of hot sauce on the table when serving because…hot sauce is amazing.
Recipe for Air Fried Potatoes
Breakfast Air Fried Potatoes
- 2 medium Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Clean and scrub potatoes under running water. Dice potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in bowl and cover with ice cold water. Allow to soak for 45 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water and dry with paper towels. Add potatoes in dry bowl and add olive oil, salt, garlic powder. Stir potatoes ensuring that all pieces are covered in oil.
- Place in air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees Farenheit 20-23 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. Potatoes are done when they are golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Top with parsley if desired.
Notes on Breakfast Air Fried Potatoes
- You can do more or less potatoes in the Air Fryer. Cook time will remain the same, just ensure to shake halfway through.
- Careful not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. A single layer of potatoes is ideal but some overlap is ok. Shake basket to ensure even cooking.
Suggested Tools for Breakfast Air Fried PotatoesAir Fryer
Looking for more air fryer breakfast recipes? try this Air Fryer Egg Frittata recipe.