These Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes are filled with a delicious chocolate lava center. Bake them in the air fryer for a quick and easy dessert.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
I love baking small-batch desserts in my air fryer, like these air fryer brownies. Since the air fryer doesn’t need much of a preheat time, dessert in the air fryer can be made in about 10 minutes from start to finish. And don’t get me started on the fact that you don’t have the heat the entire house with the oven. Thank you, Air Fryer, for keeping me cool in the summertime.
The beauty of these lava cakes is that they have a nice and gooey molten middle. They’re rich and full of yummy chocolate flavor. The key to a yummy molten lava cake is to slightly underbake them just a tad to let the middle stay molten. However, if you accidentally overbake them, they will still taste amazing.
How to make Molten Lava Cakes
First, grease 3 6-ounce ramekins and set aside.
Then melt butter and a 4 oz chocolate bar in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 seconds increments, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. It usually takes about a 1-minute total before my chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Set aside.
Then, in a separate large bowl, beat 1 large egg, 1 egg yolk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 Tablespoons sugar together until eggs are thoroughly beat. I use my electric beaters and beat the eggs.
Then add 3 Tablespoons flour and the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add the mixture into the ramekins, filling each one about halfway.
Place in the air fryer basket and cook on 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
Once done air frying, use a clean thick dish towel to remove ramekins from the air fryer basket. Allow cake to cool in a ramekin for about 1 minute. Use a butter knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin and turn over onto a plate. Serve with fresh whipped cream, fresh berries, or top with powdered sugar and enjoy.
And there you have it, delicious easy molten cake made right in your air fryer.
- Different air fryer brands will bake these at different speeds, hence the 8-10 minute cook time. These should not take longer than 10 minutes to cook. An 8 minute cook time will cause a more runny molten, 10 minutes will make it more thick.
- Use a good quality chocolate bar for this recipe. I use semi-sweet chocolate.
- The ramekins are very hot after baking in the air fryer. I found a clean thick dish towel worked best for getting a grip on the ramekins and removing them from the air fryer.
Looking for more small batch quick dessert recipes for your air fryer? Try these out:
Air Fryer Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar broken into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk from a large egg
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Grease 3 6-ounce ramekins and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in for about 1 minute until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric beater and beat egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and sugar together until well blended.
- Then add flour, the chocolate mixture, and a pinch of salt and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into the ramekins, filling each one about halfway.
- Place in the air fryer basket and air fry on 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
- Once done air frying, use a clean thick dish towel to remove ramekins from the air fryer basket. Allow cake to cool in a ramekin for about 1 minute. Use a butter knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin and turn over onto a plate. Serve with fresh whipped cream, fresh berries, or topped with powdered sugar and enjoy.