These Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes are filled with a delicious chocolate lava center. Bake them in the air fryer for a quick and easy dessert.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
I love baking small-batch desserts in my air fryer, like these air fryer brownies. Since the air fryer doesn’t need much of a preheat time, dessert in the air fryer can be made in about 10 minutes from start to finish. And don’t get me started on the fact that you don’t have the heat the entire house with the oven. Thank you, Air Fryer, for keeping me cool in the summertime.
The beauty of these lava cakes is that they have a nice and gooey molten middle. They’re rich and full of yummy chocolate flavor. The key to a yummy molten lava cake is to slightly underbake them just a tad to let the middle stay molten. However, if you accidentally overbake them, they will still taste amazing.
How to make Molten Lava Cakes
First, grease 3 6-ounce ramekins and set aside.
Then melt butter and a 4 oz chocolate bar in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 seconds increments, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. It usually takes about a 1-minute total before my chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Set aside.
Then, in a separate large bowl, beat 1 large egg, 1 egg yolk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 Tablespoons sugar together until eggs are thoroughly beat. I use my electric beaters and beat the eggs.
Then add 3 Tablespoons flour and the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add the mixture into the ramekins, filling each one about halfway.
Place in the air fryer basket and cook on 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
Once done air frying, use a clean thick dish towel to remove ramekins from the air fryer basket. Allow cake to cool in a ramekin for about 1 minute. Use a butter knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin and turn over onto a plate. Serve with fresh whipped cream, fresh berries, or top with powdered sugar and enjoy.
And there you have it, delicious easy molten cake made right in your air fryer.
- Different air fryer brands will bake these at different speeds, hence the 8-10 minute cook time. These should not take longer than 10 minutes to cook. An 8 minute cook time will cause a more runny molten, 10 minutes will make it more thick.
- Use a good quality chocolate bar for this recipe. I use semi-sweet chocolate.
- The ramekins are very hot after baking in the air fryer. I found a clean thick dish towel worked best for getting a grip on the ramekins and removing them from the air fryer.
Looking for more small batch quick dessert recipes for your air fryer? Try these out:
Air Fryer Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- 6 Tablespoon unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar broken into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk from a large egg
- 3 Tablespoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Grease 3 6-ounce ramekins and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in for about 1 minute until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric beater and beat egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and sugar together until well blended.
- Then add flour, the chocolate mixture, and a pinch of salt and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into the ramekins, filling each one about halfway.
- Place in the air fryer basket and air fry on 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
- Once done air frying, use a clean thick dish towel to remove ramekins from the air fryer basket. Allow cake to cool in a ramekin for about 1 minute. Use a butter knife to loosen the cake from the ramekin and turn over onto a plate. Serve with fresh whipped cream, fresh berries, or topped with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Sunday 23rd of April 2023
Can I use chocolate powder in place of a bar. I usually use Fryers chocolate powder.
Tuesday 25th of April 2023
Hi Arlene, I haven't tested this recipe with chocolate powder instead of the bar. My only concern is that it may not be molten with the powdered chocolate.
Thursday 29th of December 2022
Just made this to try out our new air fryer and they are sooo good!
We used dark chocolate, we had a bit less than the recommended amount (100 gr) and it still came out great! 9 min was too much for us, 8 is perfect. We will definitely do it again.
Friday 30th of December 2022
Thanks Marina! So happy you liked the recipe :)
Thursday 15th of December 2022
Just made these and they were DIVINE. Air fried for 8 minutes in ceramic ramekins in our Ninja Dual Air Fryer, and ours were a little too runny. But still delicious. We used semisweet chocolate and it was the perfect richness without being too sweet. Next time we'll air fry for 10 minutes and I'm sure they will be perfect. We also made a strawberry reduction sauce and homemade whipped cream to pile on top. Absolutely wonderful.
Friday 18th of November 2022
Made these using ALDI almond dark chocolate orange bars and they were off the chart delicious.Going to try the dark chocolate mint bars next.
Sunday 20th of November 2022
Thanks Debra! I'll have to try these almond dark chocolate orange bars. That sounds delish!
Tuesday 1st of November 2022
I love it , the taste is amazing. So easy and so perfect. Definitely will make it again. I but mine eight minutes and it’s Turned out perfect Thank you for your amazing recipe ❤️❤️
Tuesday 1st of November 2022
Thanks Aysha! So happy you liked the recipe :)