This quick and easy Crispy Air Fryer Chickpea recipe is perfect for when you are craving a delicious snack. You can season with salt and pepper or any of these 4 flavor combinations.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclosure here.
Full Recipe/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
I use my Air Fryer quite often. It’s not only for fries, wings, and steak…I also make delicious quick and easy snacks. I’ve put frozen foods in the air fryer for a quick snack, but my favorite thing to do is grab a can of chickpeas and throw them in the air fryer. I roast them and in less than 20 minutes, I have a delicious snack.
I’ve been roasting chickpeas for a while. They’re not only healthy for you, but they’re tasty and much less expensive than other snacks you can purchase.
I used to use my oven to roast them but found that the oven method gave too many inconsistent results. I can’t stand grabbing one chickpea that is super crispy while the next is a soft wet mess. I found the Air Fryer made every single chickpea crispy.
How to make Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
First, open and drain a 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans. Garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same. I don’t bother rinsing them. You can if you like, just make sure to drain them in a colander.
Next, add your drained chickpeas to the air fryer basket. Make sure they are spread out across the bottom.
This is how we’ll dry the chickpeas before we add oil.
Close the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Set timer for 17 minutes. After 5 minutes, open the air fryer basket. Your chickpeas should be dry and ready to be sprayed with oil.
I choose to spray my chickpeas with oil at this step because they are dried and ready to be roasted. I fill my spray bottle with oil and use it for all my air fryer cooking.
After I’ve sprayed the chickpeas with oil, I close the air fryer basket and continue the cooking cycle, shaking about every 5 minutes.
When there are about 2 minutes left, I add half of my seasoning combination. I found that this allowed the chickpeas to roast without having the seasonings burn or fall off.
Continue to cook for the last 2 minutes, and then take the chickpeas out. If you need them a little crispier, then put them in for a few minutes more. I found that the 17 minute total cook time was perfect for my chickpeas in my Phillips Air Fryer.
Once your chickpeas are done cooking, place them in a large bowl and pour the remainder of the seasoning on them. Stir to coat the seasoning on all of the chickpeas. Allow them to cool and enjoy.
Notes on Air Fryer chickpeas
- Drying the chickpeas in the Air Fryer prior to adding the oil gave the best results. The chickpeas should be dry after 5 minutes.
- How long to cook the chickpeas will depend on Air Fryer brand and size. I suggest checking the doneness of your chickpeas after 15 minutes.
- Add half of the seasoning on before the last 2 minutes of air frying and the remainder when chickpeas are done. I noticed that when I added seasoning too early, the seasoning would fall off the chickpeas or taste burnt.
- If you want to make these ahead or have chickpeas leftover, you can store them in a paper bag for a couple of days.
- Have fun with the seasonings! The possibilities are endless.
I hope you enjoy snacking on these Air Fryer Chickpeas!
If you’re looking for more quick and easy Air Fryer recipes, try these out:
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
Air Fryer Breaded Potato Wedges
Easy Air Fryer Recipes for Beginners
Pin Air Fryer Chickpeas for Later
Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 15.5 oz can Garbanzo beans drained
- Oil for spraying
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ranch dressing packet
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon true lime
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place chickpeas in Air Fryer basket. Set temperature to 390 degrees Fahrenheit and timer to 17 minutes. After 5 minutes, open basket and spray chickpeas with oil and shake basket. Close and continue air frying, shaking about every 5 minutes.
- With about 2 minutes left, open air fryer basket and sprinkle half of the seasoning on the chickpeas. Close and continue air frying for the remaining 2 minutes. Once chickpeas are done, remove and place in a bowl. Sprinkle remainder of the seasoning on the chickpeas and stir to combine. Serve and enjoy.
Monday 27th of March 2023
I love your recipe … I used the chickpeas in a bag and soaked them overnight … a bag of 6 ozs at the grocery store is $5.99… I bought 2 bags of chickpeas in a bags for $5… 900g a bag…. My price for 6oz might be $1. Thank you so much
Friday 17th of February 2023
Thanks! These were delicious! I didn't have ranch, but found taco seasoning in the pantry and really liked it!
Monday 20th of February 2023
Thanks Brooke M.! So glad you liked the recipe :)
Wednesday 21st of September 2022
Try using Trader Joe everything bagel spice. It has the salt and pepper in it already. And eat it with some cream cheese. Delish
Tuesday 9th of August 2022
Thank you so much!! These are the perfect texture, not like some of the "tooth chippers or crown crackers" I've tried.
You are right- the options for flavoring are endless. Our friends love hummus, so I flavored mine using all the spices and seasoning I use for my hummus and it was a big hit. You win the empty bowl award! Thanks again!
Monday 20th of June 2022
The recipe makes the chickpeas crispy. I used ranch seasoning, but it didn’t stick on the peas very well so they were pretty flavorless 🤷🏼♀️