Tasty and juicy air fryer chicken drumsticks are finger-licken good! A seriously easy weeknight dinner recipe that the whole family will love. Get the grilled crispy chicken skin and flavor without sweating over the grill.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Air fryers make cooking chicken to perfection so easy. Juicy chicken drumsticks in minutes. Not just chicken legs but Chicken Wings, Lemon Pepper Air Fryer Chicken Thighs, Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breasts, the options are endless!
Sure you could just enjoy a whole plate of air fryer chicken legs, you’ll enjoy them even more with some of our delicious sides. My Southern Green Beans are my favorite side dish. Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes or a fresh Beet and Orange Salad pair perfectly with air fryer chicken.
Ingredients and Tools Needed
A fresh package of chicken and a handful of spices. Cheap, easy, and delicious!
- Chicken drumsticks
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Fresh parsley
Tools needed for this recipe
- Air fryer
- Quick read thermometer
- A dish for marinating
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika, thyme, onion powder, black pepper, and kosher salt to the chicken and rub it all over the chicken drumsticks. Allow the drumsticks to marinate in the seasoning for 15-30 minutes.*
Place the drumsticks into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 12 minutes,
After 12 minutes, open the basket and flip the drumsticks. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
Remove from the air fryer basket and sprinkle with parsley. Serve and enjoy.
Tips For Perfect Crunchy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks & FAQs
- For evenly cooked chicken, don’t crowd the air fryer basket. Depending on your brand of air fryer, you may be able to add more or less chicken than this recipe calls for. It may be necessary to cook chicken legs in batches.
- Allow the meat to rest a few minutes before eating, this will allow those yummy juices to reabsorb into the drumstick.
- Pat the chicken dry before rubbing with the spice mixture will help it stick to the chicken and its skin.
- This Lemon Pepper Seasoning or my Homemade Cajun Seasoning would also be delicious on these air fryer chicken legs.
- Want a spicy kick? Add cayenne pepper, chili powder, or even buffalo sauce to add some punch.
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Absolutely! Because the air fryer reaches such a hot air temperature, there isn’t any worry about bacteria from the raw chicken being left behind. As always, wash your air fryer basket after each use as well.
Can I bake chicken legs in the oven too?
Don’t have an air fryer? You can still enjoy these juicy chicken legs. To bake in the oven, preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the chicken legs as instructed. Place the chicken legs on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn the chicken legs halfway through to cook evenly.
Refrigerator: Store leftover air fryer chicken legs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Freezer: Before freezing, make sure the drumsticks have cooled completely. Place in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- The chicken drumsticks should reach an internal temperature between 170-175 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is done.
- I like to allow my chicken drumsticks to sit at room temperature for just a few minutes to absorb the seasonings. Feel free to skip this step if you’re short on time. In the alternative, you can season the chicken drumsticks beforehand, about 1-2 days, and refrigerate them until ready to cook.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try these out:
- Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Sticky BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Lemon Pepper Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Fried Chicken Tacos (Air Fryer)
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 Chicken drumsticks patted dry
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika, thyme, onion powder, black pepper, and kosher salt to the chicken and rub it all over the chicken drumsticks. Allow the drumsticks to marinate in the seasoning for 15-30 minutes.*
- Place the drumsticks into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, open the basket and flip the drumsticks. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and sprinkle with parsley. Serve and enjoy.
- The chicken drumsticks should reach a temperature between 170-175 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a quick read thermometer to ensure the chicken is done.
- I like to allow my chicken drumsticks to sit at room temperature for a few minutes to absorb the seasonings. Feel free to skip this step if you’re short on time. In the alternative, you can season the chicken drumsticks beforehand, about 1-2 days, and refrigerate them until ready to cook.
Monday 22nd of August 2022
I stopped liking drumsticks as a teen, after trying this recipe, AND it being the first thing I made in my new air fryer, I LOVE THEM AGAIN!This is a good thing, as with prices so high, chicken legs are a bargain!
Wednesday 24th of August 2022
I agree Tina :) So glad you liked the recipe.