This Peruvian Air Fryer Whole Chicken is covered in a delicious garlic and herb marinade and then roasted to perfection. Crispy skin, juicy meat, and amazing flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclosure here.
Full Recipe/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Growing up, my mom would make roasted chicken…a lot. About 3 times a week, I could expect roasted chicken on our dinner table. It always tasted amazing but a traditional roast chicken can get redundant.
I was introduced to Peruvian chicken when my friends brought me to a local restaurant that specializes in this kind of chicken. It was so amazing that I began to frequent the restaurant quite often. Then I figured, why not make this at home.
I’ve made many variations of this recipe over the years and fell in love with this method of making it in the Air Fryer. You can have rotisserie style Peruvian chicken without a rotisserie machine. It’s faster than the oven, it doesn’t heat up the house in the summer, and the skin is so crispy on the outside while the meat stays so juicy on the inside. On top of that, the flavor is like no other thanks to the marinade.
How to make Peruvian Air Fryer Whole Chicken
First, prepare your marinade by adding extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic cloves, kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, cumin, oregano, brown sugar and soy sauce to a food processor and process until smooth. I use my mini food processor for this part.
Then you will want to wash and dry your chicken and remove any inside giblets. For this recipe I used a whole chicken that I received in my shipment with Butcherbox. It’s a 5 lb bird that I can fit into my 5.3 qt Air Fryer.
Then, rub your marinade all over the chicken. Gently lift the skin and rub the marinade under the skin as well. Pour some marinade inside of the chicken.
Cover the chicken and allow it to marinate for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. The longer the better.
Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, place it in the air fryer basket breast side down. Discard any remaining marinade that is left behind.
Close the Air Fryer basket and set Air Fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes is done, open Air Fryer basket. Your chicken should look like the photo below. Do not fret, it’s not burnt nor is it done.
At this point, flip the chicken and cook on 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 more minutes.
Once timer is done, open Air Fryer basket and use a quick read thermometer to test to the chicken. Knowing where to check the chicken is very important. You can watch this video on how to check the temperature of a whole chicken.
I use my Thermoworks mK4 Thermapen to test my chicken as it’s the most accurate and quickest thermometer on the market.
When chicken has reached an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit, remove chicken from the Air Fryer basket and allow it to rest on a carving board. I let my chicken rest for about 15 minutes. Cutting it any sooner will make all the juices run out.
Cut your chicken up and prepare to be amazed.
What to serve Peruvian Air Fryer Whole Chicken with?
I like to serve this chicken with my homemade Peruvian Green Sauce. I fell in love with this bold sauce at the Peruvian restuarant as well. It’s an amazing addition to this chicken.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Serving side suggestions:
Looking for other Air Fryer Chicken Recipes? Try these out:
Air Fryer Whole Chicken (Peruvian Style)
- 4-5 lb chicken giblets removed
- Blend marinade ingredients in food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Wash and dry chicken. Rub all over chicken, including under the skin and on the inside. Allow chicken to marinate for 6-24 hours, the longer the better.
- Place in Air Fryer, breast side down. Cook on 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Open Air Fryer basket and flip chicken. Then cook on 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 more minutes.
- Your chicken is done when a quick read thermometer in thickest part of chicken registers at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow chicken to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- You will need a larger size Air Fryer to make this whole chicken.
- You could also use this marinade on chicken pieces if you cannot fit a whole chicken in your Air Fryer. Just make sure the pieces are in a single layer so they can get crisp.
- You can sub your favorite seasoning for this whole chicken. Cook times will remain the same.
- This chicken goed great with this Peruvian Green Sauce recipe.