This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe uses the spices you already have in your pantry. It’s the perfect mixture to keep on hand for seasoning your favorite meats and vegetables.
This post contains affiliate links, please read my full disclaimer here.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Back in the day, I used to make a whole lot of tacos, with those nice taco seasoning packets that you can pick up in the store. They’re not expensive, and they come through in a clutch, but then I realized that most of the ingredients for taco seasonings were already in my pantry.
It’s also healthier to make your own as you have more control of the sodium level and you know exactly what’s going in your seasoning. It took me a while to get the perfect ratio for this taco seasoning but after much mixing and matching, this combo was perfection.
What’s in it?
My homemade version of taco seasoning includes the following pantry staples.
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
I tend to have store-bought chili powder in my house these days but you can make your own homemade chili powder recipe.
I use kosher salt for all my recipes as I like the after taste and flake size better than table salt, but table salt will work well in this recipe just fine.
How to Make Taco Seasoning
It’s crazy easy. Combine all your spices in a bowl and stir until combined or add it to a glass jar and shake it up. That’s it!
How to Use it?
When using this taco seasoning, you’ll want to use about 2 Tablespoons per 1 lb of meat. That may be adjusted according to the recipe and preference. The recipe as written creates about 5 Tablespoons of seasoning. You can adjust the amounts to make more or less.
Use this seasoning on the following recipes.
- Ground beef or ground turkey tacos.
- Chicken Tacos
- Sprinkle them on crispy chickpeas.
- Sprinkle a little on roasted vegetables.
Tips on Taco Seasoning
- This Taco seasoning is best stored in an airtight container. These small glass mason jars are perfect for spice storage. I also like to use a label maker to make labels for my homemade spices.
- This seasoning will last up to 2-3 years but it lasts no longer than a month in our house.
Looking for more homemade seasoning recipes? Try these out:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all your spices in a bowl and stir until combined or add it to a glass jar and shake it up.
- Adjust the seasoning to your personal preference. The added salt will depend on how salty your chili powder is.
- This seasoning will last up to 2-3 years.
Tuesday 20th of April 2021
I appreciate ALL your recipes. The taco seasoning is so tasty. It's easy and cheaper than purchasing the packets and I can adjust how much to add to each recipe. Thank you.
Wednesday 21st of April 2021
Thanks Dian! So glad you like it :)
Friday 14th of February 2020
I love watching you and love the recipes. I have made taco seasoning as well as Fajita seasoning. I made a slight adjustment by taking out the salt and use Mrs Dash.
Friday 14th of February 2020
Thank you! Thank you for sharing your adjustments as well, I haven't used Mrs Dash in quite a while but i'll give it a try :)