This amazing and easy Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes recipe is comfort food at its best. You’ll love this one pot meal with potatoes, carrots, and shredded chicken that’s smothered in a delicious white gravy.
Full Recipe Ingredients/Instructions are available in the
recipe card at the bottom of the post.
You can find important tips/tricks in the
Smothered chicken is one of my favorite comfort foods. I don’t eat it all the time but when I want it, I gotta have it. So a few months ago when I was craving for some smothered chicken on a weeknight, I had to find a quick fix. That’s where the idea of Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes came in mind.
I’d have my smothered chicken in a jiffy thanks to my pressure cooker and I’d make it a one pot meal by cooking everything in the pressure cooker. Not only was it genius, it tastes amazing.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
First, you’ll want to season your chicken. For this recipe, I use a combination of boneless and skinless chicken breast and thighs. Thighs have amazing flavor and breast provide a texture that I like in this recipe. You could use a combo or use all of one or the other.
I season my chicken with poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
Once seasoned, head over to the Pressure Cooker. Select the high sauté setting and wait for the pressure cooker to display “Hot.” Add oil into the pressure cooker and then add chicken into the pressure cooker in a single layer to brown.
All of your pieces won’t fit at once. You will need to either brown in batches or opt to just brown half of the meat. Brown on both sides for about 2-3 minutes each side. Once browned, remove from Pressure Cooker and set aside.
Deglaze the pressure cooker by adding a little of the chicken broth to the pressure cooker. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom. Then pour in remaining chicken broth. Press “Cancel” on your Pressure Cooker.
Add your chicken back to the pressure cooker, then add potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Once timer goes off, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
Open lid and remove the chicken and vegetables. In a separate bowl, shred chicken. Set aside.
Press Cancel on the pressure cooker and set it to Sauté. Add flour and water to a separate bowl and whisk with a fork. Once liquid begins to simmer, whisk in flour mixture. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in cream.
Add chicken back to Instant Pot.
Serve with potatoes and carrots.
Can you cook this with frozen chicken?
I’m sure you could but I don’t. I’m a huge fan of searing my chicken before cooking in this recipe. If you were to modify this recipe and use frozen chicken, I’d follow the guidelines found here about cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
Looking for more one pot Pressure Cooker recipes? Try these out:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice (NY Street Cart Style)
- Instant Pot Shrimp Paella
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Cajun Dirty Rice
If you enjoyed this recipe, please Subscribe to our Youtube channel for the full recipe video. Click the little bell icon to be notified everytime we upload a recipe.
Watch this video tutorial and see how I make this dish from start to finish.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Season your chicken with poultry seasoning, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Select “Sauté” and select the “More” setting on your Instant Pot. Once the display says "Hot", add the oil. Then add chicken pieces into the pressure cooker in a single layer to brown. Brown on both sides for about 2-3 minutes each side. Once browned, remove from Instant Pot.
- Add about 2 Tbsp of the chicken broth into the Instant Pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot, making sure all the brown bits are removed. Add the remainder of the chicken broth and press “Cancel.”
- Add chicken back to Instant Pot. Then add baby potatoes and carrots on top.
- Cover Instant Pot with lid, ensuring that the valve is set to “Seal.” Set Instant Pot on High Pressure for 12 minutes.
- After your chicken has pressure cooked for 12 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Remove potatoes, carrots, and chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Press “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. In a separate bowl, shred chicken. Set aside. Press Cancel on the pressure cooker and set it to sauté. Add flour and water to a separate bowl and whisk with a fork. Once liquid begins to simmer, whisk in flour mixture. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in cream.
- Add chicken back to Instant Pot. Serve with potatoes and carrots.